To be found below is a listing of content of The Spiritual Sword, April 2008, Volume 39, Number 3, with the theme: DAILY CHRISTIAN LIVING. Numbers at left are page numbers. I would like to recommend highly this entire issue and especially the article: “Are You Different,” by David R. Pharr. If you do not receive this publication, you OUGHT TO. Send a message to: email@example.com to inquire.
01. “They Continued Steadfastly,” (Acts 2:42), by Alan E. Highers. Headings: The Importance of Faithfulness; Characteristics of a Christian.
04. “Are You Different?,” (1 Timothy 2:8), by David R. Pharr. Headings: Different is Expected; What Makes the Difference?; Practical Applications; “Without Wrath and Doubting.”
08. “ ‘In,’ but Not ‘Of,’” (John 17:11-16), by Gary McDade. Headings: A Look at the Text; A Lesson on the Language; A Life of Purpose.
11. “The Salt of the Earth” (Matthew 5:13; Mark 9:50; Luke 14:34-35), by David Sain. Headings: Salt; Ye Are the Salt of the Earth; The Christians as the Salt of the Earth.
16. “Grow in Knowledge” (2 Peter 3:18; Hebrews 5:11-14), by William Woodson. Headings: Instruction; Insight; Ingredients; Inspiring Examples (including author’s remembrance of Gus Nichols and Franklin Camp, DRL). Significant quote:
“The older I grow, however, the better I know that one’s growth in the knowledge of the Bible best comes not by this or that tool or computer program. The best way is the old way; hour after hour of reading again and again the written word of God. There is no substitute for this ongoing procedure. Read again and again, with love and attention, with desire and resolve to learn and live by the truth presented, the Bible weaves its way into the mind, the heart, and the soul.”
20. “Pray Without Ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17), by Ancil Jenkins. Headings: What Does it Mean to Pray?; What Does it Mean to Pray Without Ceasing?
24. “How to Make Right Decisions” (Proverbs 1–4), by Phil Sanders. Headings: Wisdom and Right Decisions; Some Practical Questions; Failure to Do Right.
28. “Be an Example” (Ephesians 5:1; 1 Peter 2:21; 1 Timothy 4:12), by Jay Lockhart. Headings: Becoming Like Jesus; Making it Practical; The Importance of the Issue.
31. “Good News and Bad News,” by Earl D. Edwards. Dealing with recent statistics about church growth among churches of Christ from Flavil Yeakley.
35. “Faithful Unto Death” (Revelation 2:10), by Hugh Fulford. Headings: The Necessity of Guarding Against Unfaithfulness,” Encouragement to Faithfulness; What Can We Do to Remain Faithful?, What If I Have Become Unfaithful?
39. “Are You a Christian?” (Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16), by Alan E. Highers.
40. VOICES FROM THE PAST: “Divinity Degrees and Professional Preachers,” by G.C. Brewer.
43. “An Incident from the Life of J.W. McGarvey,” by Jesse P. Sewell, Harding Lectures (1950).
44. FROM THE WOODLAND. “Characteristics of Good Elders,” “Duties of Preachers,” “The Secret of Human Happiness,” (Ecclesiastes), and “Telltale Signs,” by Alan E. Highers.